Unable to select & edit elements in WebFlow

I’m suddenly unable to select and edit any elements unless selected through the navigator. There is no indication that the element is selected, and I’m completely unable to delete anything, or edit text, such as the heading. I can’t remember doing anything unusual before this lock-up/glitch occurred.

I’ve found that another person had a similar problem some time ago but the solution wasn’t shared on the forum.

Any suggestions?

Here is my site Read-Only: REDACTED

1 Like

Hello @aawo,

You can’t select anything on your screen because your “Request Demo Popup” symbol is fixed on top of everything else and it takes up the full screen. you can just double click on it and select display none to edit your other elements.
44%20PM
once you are done editing you can go back to display block. I hope this helps.

Hi there! If you are trying to edit elements within the popup, you’ll have to double click on it first because it is saved as a symbol.

Hi Pablo,

I’ve tried that before and it still didn’t work regardless of whether or not the symbol/form is hidden. But I do feel like there’s some sort of hidden overlay preventing me from selecting & editing.

hey @aawo, I was able to edit stuff once the symbol was hidden. what element/s you don’t have access to edit?

Interesting, I can’t select any elements. I’ve hidden the pop-up yet I can’t click on any individual element to edit e.g. Heading/Video/Buttons etc.

Here’s a loom video: REDACTED

Just to add (so you know it’s probably something on your end), I also have no issues in editing elements

1 Like

I don’t think Safari is a supported browser for the Webflow Designer.

1 Like

@aawo, I would suggest to maybe try to reload your browser, open webflow in an incognito window, or just try chrome if you are using safari like mention by @parker. Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

@Pablo_Cortes @Parker Correct, Webflow only works better on Google Chrome. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

Hi @parker and @aawo, Webflow is supported in the Safari designer, I have checked myself and had no troubles in Safari.

There have been a lot of changes recently for Safari, It is often helpful to first try the following steps:

(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off.

(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Browser Error Console and send that to me.

(3) It may be helpful to disable the browser cache so that updated files are always downloaded instead of pulling old content from browser cache.

If the issue persists, let me know the read only share link so that I can dive deeper to help get this resolved: Share a read-only link | Webflow University

@cyberdave I have this exact issue (just tested it with your suggestions and it is consistently reproduced). This issue is also replicated here (Items NOT editable) by @Calumet and here (Can't select anything on the canvas in Designer) by @dankanvis.

This issue (+ a 2nd cross-browser issue of — publishing image “sizes attribute” incorrectly when inside grid element — outlined in a new thread — Since Oct 8th Webflow UI Update — Images Insides Grid Element Ignore Column-Span Setting When Published — Loading Lowest Resolution Asset — Which Matches Min Column Width) is isolated to Safari and started occurring sometime on October 8th coinciding with Designer UI updates (see images and step by step below) pushed by Webflow.

I have been working continuously over last few days on a website and caught this issue immediately. However not having time to wait I just switched over to Opera/Chrome and continued working. Unfortunately this issue also coincided with “responsive images not displaying sizes attribute correctly when inside grid” bug that is breaking my workflow (details here — Since Oct 8th Webflow UI Update — Images Insides Grid Element Ignore Column-Span Setting When Published — Loading Lowest Resolution Asset — Which Matches Min Column Width), so I visited here to find these threads:

The issue described in this thread

1. Started happening when the loading screen switched from old version to the following:

1. Nothing is selectable in Designer Mode (unless in Navigator), and when in Preview Mode clicking on any link leads to a 404 page.

The 404 URL page itself also switched from the old version to the one you see in the screen below within half an hour of #1 (assuming cache)

1. Clicking out out Preview Mode leads to a bug report screen

1. Which unfortunately also does not work:

I would guess whatever was in Webflow UI update did not account for the major functional switch (plug-in disabling) occurring in Safari.

Guessing the people with this bug are on older Safari (i am running 11.1.2) vs the newer ones (> 13.0.2 which disabled external plug-in) which I am guessing webflow staff is running.

if it helps feel free to get in touch with me directly for any additional details

2 Likes

Having same recent issue here with Safari 12.1.1
Cannot directly select elements on canvas, only via panel, but still cannot edit text.
Works fine in Chrome.
Seems like a new issue, was working fine a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

Yup the same here Safari 12.1.1 not allowing me to select elements on the canvas since the update.

1 Like

This is a screen shot of the console errors incognito mode in safari 12.1.1

1 Like

Hi @aawo, @Pablo_Cortes, @parker, @Andy_Vaughan, @Dimony, @Blumineer, @Russell_T

The issue was identified and fix pushed out, it should be possible to use Safari again.

Let me know in case of any new issues or if the issue persists.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, Safari seems to be working properly now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.