Unread Posts Badge via Cookie?

Hello,

after reading so many interesting posts here in the Webflow-forums, now my first question/problem:

I’m currently trying to build a notification-badge in my top-navigation, to inform my visitors, that since their last visit, new posts have been published. I know its pretty complex to get the actual count of new posts, but maybe someone is able to take this code-snippet (coming from an unread-posts plugin of Wordpress) and get it to work with the cookies set by webflow (cookie-js?)

function wpb_lastvisit_the_title ( $title, $id ) {

if ( !in_the_loop() || is_singular() || get_post_type( $id ) == 'page' ) return $title;

// if no cookie then just return the title 

if ( !isset($_COOKIE['lastvisit']) ||  $_COOKIE['lastvisit'] == '' ) return $title;
$lastvisit = $_COOKIE['lastvisit'];
$publish_date = get_post_time( 'U', true, $id );
if ($publish_date > $lastvisit) $title .= '<span class="new-article">New</span>';
return $title;

}

add_filter( 'the_title', 'wpb_lastvisit_the_title', 10, 2);

// Set the lastvisit cookie 

function wpb_lastvisit_set_cookie() {

if ( is_admin() ) return;
$current = current_time( 'timestamp', 1);
setcookie( 'lastvisit', $current, time()+60+60*24*7, COOKIEPATH, COOKIE_DOMAIN );
}

add_action( 'init', 'wpb_lastvisit_set_cookie' );

Source of code: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-highlight-new-posts-for-returning-visitors-in-wordpress

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Michael

This looks interesting. However, your code snippet is not even close though, as it uses PHP (and Webflow does not support server-side code).

No one has done this before on Webflow, though I think there is a way to compare the dates, but it will be a complex solution.