User login and registration functionality update?

Hi @nabbiechan

If you can tune in live to this tomorrow: Webflow Workshop #108: Q&A with Webflow CEO Vlad Magdalin

You can ask CEO Vlad himself - if you can’t make it, i’ll make a note to ask for you!

Stu

Yep I hear ya. As you can imagine, with such popularity of Webflow, the engineering team has to be swimming in excited possibilities. When you build a start-up, the thought really never goes Global, but that’s exactly what has happened. Now, one thing is for sure, without a sound business plan and clear focus - Success can be just as dangerous! All of us have the same goal - to make Webflow our go to solution. I think our input not only helps keep them excited, but the deep experience of those moving from top of line platforms, will undoubtedly drive their focus.

This type of feature is sure to come!

As for Sitelok, I promise you, one of my core skills is research! I normally take a long time before commitment. It is the best merge for quick deployment I could find. The support was fabulous and the best part is; they’ve taken time to write in-depth help manuals. Which says a lot about their product. Definitely give them a try.

Oh and it’s only $40 one-time payment!!! And you own the software! :sunglasses:

Great idea @StuM, that would be a perfect question. I wonder if I shoot them the Vibralogix site to show them how they did it.

Oh man, I live in Australia so the question would be if I’ll be able to make it at 5am my time. But If you don’t see me, please bring the question up! I’ll be watching the livestream replay later.

Exactly my thoughts on Webflow. We all wish for Webflow to be successful, so we hope to hear from them soon.

As for the software, I’ll definitely make time today to check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

The problem isn’t the missing function, but lack of communication from Webflow team. Especially on the threads that are years old and constantly requested by users. We all understand that developement takes time, but a lack of communication on these core functions makes it very difficult and frustrating especially for us designers…

3 Likes

why not come to the live stream tomorrow :slight_smile:

Can you guys set up a zoom call? Would be way easier to have meaningful discussion…also is there a way to suggest a “merge” of this thread with other thread?

@garymichael1313 Thank you for sharing, seems like a promising solution!

this is going to be a YouTube live stream so that way everyone can ask their question tomorrow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure thing… and @FilipSipos we care about you! :hugs: ha.

1 Like

Well when the livestream is at 5am my time, it may be difficult, but I will do my best to go :blush:

Just want to second this, definitely agree.

The stream will be recorded. Also, you’re more than welcome to ask your question in the thread and I’ll ask it live on the stream.

For me, updates is the area that still needs work…and the lack of, might make some people think they don’t care, however…

The team definitely care, the whole reason for Webflow is to empower us, the designers, and to do that they are steadily/sustainably building a team to evolve the product, rather than going for broke or being acquired/swallowed up by a big player.

The team seems to be growing this past year which is encouraging.

Updates are difficult to find a balance with - not wanting to over-promise, commercial sensitivity, investors, and us the users - most of us get the fact that it’s difficult to give strict deadlines and release dates in this type of service.

Earlier this year I was pleased with the blog post response to this thread, from Bryant which reassured many of us: What's up with the Wishlist? - #23 by DanUK1

Updates other than IX2 and Search have been a little quiet since…but i’m holding on to the fact the new canvas means things should be shipped faster, @PixelGeek mentioned a new community manager, and a relaunch/revamp of how the wishlist is managed - i’m hoping these things will go some way to improving the ‘updates’ issue…

As Nelson says, we can ask for an update on updates on the livestream!

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi @nabbiechan

As I understand it login and membership features are unlikely to be built in 2018 - Vlad updates on this question just after the hour mark on the stream.

Stu

Thanks for this! I woke up in time for the livestream but fell asleep after a few minutes…

Have watched a bit concerning the question and It’s good to hear from Vlad addressing this. Understandable, but sad to hear.
I’ll watch the whole replay later.

SOOOO disappointing to hear that.

I don’t really understand it, @nabbiechan . As Vlad said himself, he has noticed lots of people requesting this feature.

As Cross site copy/paste and the Search feature drop off the Wishlist in the next month or two, Login/Registration functionality will likely be No.2 or even No.1 on the Wishlist. It will be the most requested and therefore the most sought after feature for Webflow users.

There are so many other features already in ‘backlog’ or ‘planned’ that are not such common user cases. Otherwise, what’s the point of the Wishlist in the first place?

Surely, @callmevlad, Webflow can’t continue to put off implementing this feature for much longer. Just look at the comments on the wishlist.

https://wishlist.webflow.com/ideas/DESIGNER-I-11

Don’t get me wrong, I think you and your Webflow team are doing an amazing job and I’m sure that we are all excited to see what goodies Webflow will provide us in 2018, but please do have a re-think about this feature and how you could possibly implement it next year. It would be a total game changer in attracting a wealth of new customers, for both you and us.

1 Like

I like to think of the wish list as like the LEGO ideas community. In that community, you can submit an idea for the next LEGO set that LEGO should build and sell. If your idea gets 10,000 votes then it will be passed along to the LEGO staff for review.

After review, they reveal which sets will become a reality and which didn’t make the cut and they explain why.

There are a lot of things that need to be considered before agreeing or disagreeing to work on a wish list item. While I personally wish for a lot of the wish list items to be launched soon, I think many people prefer to have a stable design product instead of something that is rushed.

Also, if an item that you submitted or voted for doesn’t make it to the product now, it doesn’t mean it will not be considered to be added in the future.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I built this site http://www.premierrrg.com/ in Webflow and exported it to the excellent backendless.com. They provide hosting and you can set permissions on folders for logged in users. It will require some development skills to get up and running, but if you are decent with javascript, you can have a user member site running in an hour or two after exporting from Webflow.

They also have a free tier that is fine for low-traffic sites.

2 Likes

Nice analogy Nelson, but there is a few things here. First some of the
stuff on a wishlist is more like “hey there is a missing roof or door for
this Lego house”…in different words it’s not us asking for new special
features (for example ix2 great we have it but e-commerce would be way more
valuable - what good is product nicely sliding in an scroll into view if
visitor can’t purchase that product?), But rather fundamental blocks of any
modern website. Webflow is great for small static websites with little
content, but anything past that point is problematic - larg blog or IMG
gallery? - no pagination. Selling product? - no e-commerce. Offering
services? - no user login or paid wall. Building community? - no chat or
comments. So really the primary used case is a flashy business card like
website… Second based on the size of the active community and overall all
number of votes it seems the threshold should be a 1000 votes. And again
there’s a handful of core components (let’s not call them features) that
are past that threshold for very long time and webflow keeps avoiding
(responding with why yes/no) them. Which is by far the most frustrating
think about webflow… I’m rooting for webflow to succeed in a long run
and that’s why I’m so… anyway hope you guys take it the right way.
Missing features are not problem, avoiding communication about them is…

3 Likes

Yes, I agree @FilipSipos. But this issue, in my view, should be nothing to do with the wishlist.

@PixelGeek Login/registration is, especially now, simply a fundamental building block in the development of a website. And this, so I thought, was what the Webflow team want to achieve - empower their users to be able to build strong, complex and beautiful sites, simply.

Do all websites need sliders, interactions, (CMS) image galleries etc? No. Are they great additions in the build of a website? Yes. So are they welcome? Of course!

Is login/ registration fundamentally needed in education, e-commerce, financial/business, photography, communities, events, online marketplaces, news, product transaction (and so many more) website use cases? In the majority of sites, YES!

This component is not simply a ‘nice to have’. It has increasingly becoming an important, integral part in the building of a website.

Just to hit the point home one final time, if you look at the forum and wishlist discussions on this issue (over the past 2-3 years!) so many contributions ask if this component is in the pipeline because if it is, they will use webflow. If it isn’t they won’t.

So this is a binary issue for your customers. If this component exists in Webflow, they’ll use the platform. If it doesn’t they will go elsewhere. And that says it all really.

8 Likes