Using a UI-Kit to copy from

Note: I have searched and found heeps on the subject of Copying and Pasting, but nothing really addressing the issue I am up against.

I saw the announcement and watched the video explaining that we can create or use a UI Kit ( calling this Site Alpha ) with pre-designed layouts and features and then copy sections, elements, or Styles to a new site ( Calling it Beta ).

First I opened a tab in my browser for site Alpha and a tab for site Beta. I then open the respective sites in their defined tabs. In this case Site Alpha is a UI-Kit I just purchased.

I click on the Element I want to put in the new site and use every method I know ofā€¦ cmn+ C, right click select Copy and then I click on the Tab for Site Betaā€¦ since it is a blank page right now I select the body and try to paste itā€¦

No luck. I even Right click only to see Paste Inside and Paste Inside First greyed outā€¦

What am I doing Wrongā€¦ The video looked so easy. Copy then Paste. But itā€™s not working for meā€¦ Even copy Pasting from something I designed to a new designā€¦

Anyone know of an existing thread or someplace I can get answers. I have two sites to do in one weekā€¦

For your Information, I was using Safariā€¦ Is there a different Browser that works better with Webflow?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi

From what I know it should work and I also just tested with Safari there was no problem for me. I donā€™t have any templates that I bought to try out that specific use case. Iā€™ll check around and get back to you =)

So I found this from Kyle over at the Webflow blog comments.

Just responded to another comment on this, but copying and pasting here as well:

Iā€™m the Product Manager here at Webflow who worked on this feature. Currently, we donā€™t completely block you from copying and pasting elements from a site that was started with a premium template.

However, the single-use license still applies. So you can only use a purchased template license for a single client/project, and would need to purchase an additional license to use the template for additional projects.

Since you can make any changes to the sites in Webflow once created, there are a number of use-cases where designers would be copying content that wasnā€™t a part of the original paid template at all ā€“ which is why we havenā€™t completely restricted this case for this initial launch.

If it becomes something that people abuse, however, we may need to add extra constraints in the future ā€“ so we will be keeping a close eye on that, but hope that our users will use this powerful new feature responsibly and in compliance with the single-use license agreement.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you Jorn I appreciate the willingness to help.

Now I am going crazyā€¦ I thought it was just the fact that I bought one of the Marketed UI-Kits so that I could use bits and pieces of the kit to quickly build web pagesā€¦ AS IT IS ADVERTISED on the UI-Kit page.

As I mentioned above. I opened the UI Kit in one Tab then I opened a blank Page in another Tab. I could copy, or at least the option on the right click drop down was available so I clicked the COPY option. I then move to the blank page and click in the Body ( as that is all that is available now ) and there is no option to paste, paste inside or the like.

I Then move over to a page I have been creating to learn WebFlow withā€¦ I had copied and pasted from within this site before, so you would think that I could do it again.

NOPE. Now I canā€™t even paste from within the same page I pasted from.

Do you think that maybe I selected something that is hindering me from pasting?

I would email support and maybe you can get a refund on the template and maybe get additional help on whatā€™s going on.

I agree with @jorn - and I think thereā€™s room for wording to be clearer on the template purchase pages, about what can and canā€™t be done with premium/paid templates.

@kkilat @brjohnson - maybe additional text here on the licence summary section now that copy/paste is a live thing:

Clicking on ā€˜licence informationā€™ does go on to cover individual elements - but maybe also mentioning it at this earlier step would be goodā€¦

Hey Jeff,

Did you clone the project you are trying to copy from?

I couldnā€™t actually copy anything from the generic webflow copy/paste example page until I cloned it.

1 Like

I am sorry it took such a long time to reply Toupee. I found that my issue was that even though it said UI-Kitā€¦ The kit was only good for one project, Not to have as what I call a Resource where I can Frankinstien a website together from.

With that said I have found a plethora of sites people have developed for the purpose of cloningā€¦ however Have no idea how to clone the sites as the author has given permission to do.

I click the ā€œCloneā€ button in the top right corner and get sent to a page of sites done by our Webflow colleagues.

Hi @Jeff_Biggs

That sounds like a strange thing happening there! Normally, if you are logged into your account and click ā€˜cloneā€™ it gives you the option to name the project, and then opens it up as itā€™s added to your dashboard.

Are you hitting any site limits on your Designer plan?

cc @kkilat @Waldo