Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Video element from CMS not displaying Vimeo video

Hi all,

I have a video field in my CMS, and I’m populating a video element from that field. Pretty straightforward.

But the video isn’t displaying on the page.

And when I view the source code of the page, it appears that Webflow isn’t even rendering the video element.

I’m very sure that the video field has a value, so I don’t believe the problem is that the CMS field is empty.

Really can’t figure out what it is. Please help.

Thanks!

PS. Love Webflow.

Here is my public share link: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/great-fit?utm_medium=preview_link&utm_source=dashboard&utm_content=great-fit&preview=c03bf5f2d72124e127273571976451d1&mode=preview
(how to access public share link)

OK, I finally figured this out. For anyone else struggling with this issue –

Webflow seems to render a Vimeo video link only when you manually enter it into the CMS.

So if you add the URL to the video link programmatically, with Zapier for example, it won’t render that URL as a video.

Here’s how you can tell:

Paste a URL from a Vimeo video into a CMS video field. It automatically displays a small embed of the video right there, in a second or less. Very nice. If you then leave and come back to that entry in the CMS, you’ll still see that embedded video displayed below the link you entered in the video field. All good.

Now, contrast that with adding that same video link via Zapier. When you examine the entry in the CMS, you’ll see the URL in the video field link but the embedded video will NOT appear under it. Which suggests that Webflow hasn’t rendered the link, and won’t ever do so. (Unless you delete the URL value and re-paste it – manually. Then it works.)

Seems like a bug.

My fix was to grab the Vimeo video ID and use Vimeo’s responsive embed code to display it in an HTML embed element.

Stuck with the same. The parsing failure is something that you least expect importing a .csv with links to videos from one WF project, to another