Webflow and external style sheets

I keep seeing articles about CSS saying that you should use external style sheets on your website if it has multiple pages. How does it apply to websites designed in Webflow?

Basic Answer: If you export a site you will see that there is a webflow.css loaded on each html page which contains the base css used by webflow layout and component elements, and you should also see your site specific stylesheet.

If you host with webflow it’s similar but a little different. The better answer is use the browser developer tools. Look at code.

Hi @Josef

Webflow Style Sheets (CSS) are ‘external’ no matter how many pages you have. It’s just best practice.

I believe what you have read is referring to the alternative use of CSS, where the mark up is done in line with the HTML.

So in webflow, it communicates with a style sheet similar to the example below. You can see this when you view your pages code in the browser (right click, page source/inspect)

<head> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="mystyle.css"> </head>

Inline CSS is appropriate in some situations, but rarely, and would be more like this:

<h1 style="color:blue;margin-left:30px;">This is a heading</h1>

I hope that answers your question :slight_smile:

Tom

1 Like