Webflow and Internet Explorer

Opening up my website on Internet Explorer corrupts the orientation and layout of the website.

Is it possible to prompt a message (for example, saying ‘please use other browsers’) when a user opens up the website on IE?

Welcome to the community @kyomindavid!

This is a great fallback for users attempting to load their projects in IE, however it’s worth noting that with support for this browser ending completely in less than a year it’s not an environment that many will be using going forward. Webflow was designed to work with modern browsers, so I believe in addition to Chrome (which is preferred) it should also be fairly stable within Firefox, Safari and Edge.

In the event you run into issues with a save on your project, you can always roll back to a previous version by going to your Project Settings and then the Backups tab, or by clicking the Settings cog icon in the designer and going to Backups from there.

Hopefully that helps!

Thank you for your reply @mikeyevin!

I’m glad to hear that Webflow will end support for IE soon.

My target for my website is people in South Korea, and some people actually do still use IE as their main browser. And I do not want to lose customers with IE (as they will see the layout of the website been corrupted and will never visit again)

If Webflow is planning on ending support with IE, what will happen then if the user opens up the website? Will it just show a blank page?

As an alternative solution, is it possible to make the website prompt a message saying use a different browser?

Thanks.

My apologies for the confusion, Webflow is not ending support for IE but Microsoft itself.

This is essentially the nail in the coffin for anyone not moved over to Edge yet and I would imagine that after Microsoft drops support, it will lose any remaining support from other platforms/sites as well. There is mention of an “IE Mode” in Edge that will help alleviate any enterprise level needs but I doubt many users will need it.

My target for my website is people in South Korea, and some people actually do still use IE as their main browser. And I do not want to lose customers with IE (as they will see the layout of the website been corrupted and will never visit again)

Was your initial question about seeing the website in IE on the front-end or using the Webflow Designer in IE? I may have misunderstood the problem, but if it was viewing a site created on Webflow in IE, then it really just comes down to what elements are being used. Flexbox and CSS Grid for example have limited support and typically will cause visual issues if used throughout a site.

If Webflow is planning on ending support with IE, what will happen then if the user opens up the website? Will it just show a blank page?

Not necessarily, however it’s possible that future versions of Webflow could be served using web technologies that aren’t supported in IE. Again, this is due to support in general ending for the browser—not to mention the numerous security vulnerabilities associated with it.

As an alternative solution, is it possible to make the website prompt a message saying use a different browser?

This is what I would recommend for folks building websites that require “modern” browsers to appropriately show content, and there are a handful of threads in the community that cover the topic that may be useful:

Hopefully that helps and sorry again for the confusion!

Thanks for your help, @mikeyevin! Much appreciated.

1 Like