Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Webflow debit card payments in Europe?

Hi all,

I’ve heard a few noises here and there about European consumers not being able to use Debit cards to pay for good on a Webflow ecommerce store? I was hoping someone can clarify the exact situation?

Thanks

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

@Alcon no, at the moment, the only payments accepted on webflow ecommerce are creditcards (visa), apple pay and paypal. There are several requests but I personally don’t think we’ll see other payments soon. Each EU payment individually has a very small userbase compared to international options like credit cards.
You can use another shopping cart and connect that to webflow. Either through the CMS or even with ecommerce if you use @foxy. In case foxy has managed to get their VAT set-up sorted that is :wink:

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply.

Is this even the case if I use Stripe as a payment gateway? Their UK site seems to mention accepting debit card payments?

@Alcon yes, this confused me at first as well. Stripe itself allows for debit cards and all the EU payments. When software companies like webflow use Stripe for their payment processing, they don’t always get access to or want to use all features. So for whatever reason, within webflow, Stripe only processes credit cards. I came across this issue with several shopping cart providers. There are very few options for shopping carts that accept EU payments, especially when you’ve got to adhere to the VAT display rules. IE. VAT is charged and the total price is displayed to the customer in the cart, it’s not added afterwards.

:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

This is mental! Is this a Stripe decision or Webflow decision?

:rage:

Hi @Alcon.
I think I commented on another thread of yours, but feel free to reach out if we can be of assistance.

Thanks,
Josh

@Alcon I can’t speak on webflow’s behalf :wink: . I just volunteer for ego boosts :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi Sarah,

The plot thickens. I emailed Webflow support and they confirmed that it is possible to use Webflow > Stripe and have debit card payments processed. They referenced the content in this link

Unless I’m missing something very specific, then the seems possible!? :thinking:

@Alcon you got be intrigued for a moment! While this sounds like people could pay with EU debit cards, the link says

Credit or debit card payments (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diners Club, JCB) through Stripe and PayPal

Those aren’t debit cards used on mainland Europe. I do know there are some visa issued debit cards used in the UK. Anything mainland is always Maestro.

So I suppose support was right on the ability to process debit cards but not ones used in Europe.