Webflow Designer will no longer work in Safari 9.0, 9.1, and 10.0 after June 2nd, 2017

(This announcement only applies to Mac users who access the Webflow Designer using Safari. Mac/Windows/Linux/etc users who use Google Chrome can safely ignore this announcement!)

Our team will soon be releasing some improvements to the Export Code user interface inside of the Designer. Part of the new code (specifically to fix this bug) relies on a browser feature that is not available in an older version of Apple Safari (10.0), which a small percentage of our users are still using to access the Webflow Designer.

In order to release these new improvements, we need to make sure that all Apple Safari users are running the latest version of the browser (v10.1), and we need your help to make sure your Macs are updated.

What’s changing?

On Friday, June 2nd, we will be sunsetting support for all Safari versions below 10.1, including:

• Safari 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.0.3
  • Safari 9.1, 9.1.1, 9.1.2, 9.1.3
  • Safari 10.0, 10.0.1, 10.0.2, 10.0.3

If you are using one of these older versions of Safari, please update to the latest - Version 10.1 - via the operating system’s update process (see instructions below).

What will happen if I don’t upgrade to version 10.1?

After June 2nd, opening up the Designer in an older Safari version will automatically switch to Read-Only Mode. You will still be able to preview a site in the Designer, but any changes you make will not be saved to the server.

How do I check my version of Safari?

• With Safari open on your Mac, go to “Safari > About Safari”
  • Check the version number in the popup that comes up:

What if my version shows Safari 10.0?

• Perform an OSX or macOS software update to get the latest 10.1 version installed
  • The latest version is available for all of the following operating systems:
  • OS X v10.10 “Yosemite”
  • OS X v10.11 “El Capitan”
  • macOS v10.12 “Sierra”

What if my version shows Safari 9.X?

• If you’re running OS X v10.10 or above, perform the steps above :point_up:
  • If you’re running OS X v10.9 or below (e.g. “Mavericks” or “Mountain Lion”), unfortunately Apple doesn’t allow installing Safari 10.1 on these older environments. You will need to either:
    • Update to one of the more recent operating system releases (at least v10.10 “Yosemite”)
    • Switch to Google Chrome (version 54 or above) to access the Webflow Designer.

What if my version is 8.X or below?

Are published sites affected?

No. This change only impacts the Webflow Designer product, and has zero impact on published Webflow sites! That is, if a website you publish happens to be accessed by a visitor that is still using Safari 10.0 (or even 9.0), there will be no difference/changes to what they see.

What are some other advantages to upgrading to Safari 10.1?

Safari 10.1 includes a ton of improvements (the tiny “.1” version bump doesn’t give it credit), including:

6 Likes

This should probably be in an email announcement. Not everyone frequents the forums.

2 Likes

@samliew Yep, we’re going to send an email to everyone who has logged with one of the older versions, and point them here. Luckily, that’s a small number of people (due to the lengths macOS goes to bug people to upgrade), but we just wanted to make sure we announce it here as well :+1:

7 Likes