Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Webflow Users Who Export HTML: How Many Users Do This, and Why?

Howdy; first post:

I am new to Webflow, and I am still getting my head around the environment – its features, and its limitations. (When I say limitations, I am not implying that is a bad thing; I just like to know what to expect.)

1.) what percentage of Webflow users (or who among you) export a site as HTML, and use that as the final site?

• Yes, I export my sites out of Webflow
  • No, I do not export my sites out of Webflow

0 voters

2.) When exported, how much more work do you need to do to the site? In other words, is the exported site 50 percent ready (needing intense customizations that might not be possible within the Webflow environment), or is it 75 percent ready, or is it 95 to 100 percent ready to go?

3.) What would be the reasons for exporting in the first place? Because of needing extra customizations (as in item #2 above)? Or for other reasons?

I know this question covers a LOT of ground, but thank you for your patience if you try to respond. :slight_smile:

Jeffrey

Well, the main reason to export to HTML is the fact, that many Webflow users host their sites with other providers than Webflow.

Most of my Webflow designed sites are exported. I’m a longtime user of Webflow and I use it for several purposes:

1. graphic and interaction design - the design basis is done on paper, in Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator and sometimes with the help of Flinto. In Webflow I can make live design and interactions of these designs, exactly the way it should become in the definitive version. Definitive versions are mostly done in CMS systems (WordPress, Drupal, or more complex/proprietary systems) which I don’t handle myself. I can hand over the exported code plus extra documentation.
  2. information design, interactive mini website to organise content - before even starting the design the information needs to be organised and for some websites it is quite useful to make an interactive mockup in Webflow with substantial parts of the planned website. In this way, clients can better understand how the information is presented and organised, even when there is no design or effective interaction.
  3. design of mini websites, html presentations - these are completely made in Webflow and exported as static websites or presentations. Sometimes certain parts of the websites or presentations are “editable” in a CMS environment.
    Some of the designs are mockups for screens of online applications.

Weblow’s exported sites are quite good. But…
There are a few things that don’t work at all in exported sites. These are known e.g. forms and search. It is not difficult to come up with solutions here. The “but” is of a different order: interactions, especially interactions 2.0 are difficult to manage in exported code. The interactions work fine and all right in the exported code, but when new pages, parts or whatever is added to the code you may run into trouble. The reason is that in interactions 2.0 actions are connected to ID’s with data-w-id’s. For example you may find a

with a data-w-id=“2d23f146-6112-1b5c-7486-67cfe9445f5d” - these data ID’s are Webflow’s blackbox, difficult to find out what is happening where in the Webflow Javascript file. So very difficult to handle. I think Webflow should come up with a better solution here, so we can handle the code!

Hopefully you can do something with this information.

Rich

Hi @jeffreydevflow welcome to the community! :wave: :smiley:

1. I edited your post with a poll :wink:

2. If you’re just creating a static site, then not much work is needed after exporting. You can upload your files as is to another host. You can download an example export from the bottom of this article: https://university.webflow.com/article/exporting-a-site-from-webflow

3. There are several reasons. But the two main ones are:

• Converting to a template for another CMS platform
  • Handing off the code to developers

Hope this helps :slight_smile: