Streaming live at 10am (PST)

What is the difference between a container and a div block?

I’m new to Webflow so please forgive my ignorance, but I can’t quite figure out what the difference is between a container and a div block. As I understand it, a container is a type of div block, but the distinction stops there for me.

In the Webflow Div Block instructional video here, the narrator explains that a div block should be used inside a container to control a few text elements. I don’t understand why he drops a div block into the container. Why not just adjust the container itself? The container does not appear to have any distinct properties from the div block, so what is the purpose of adding another element to the puzzle?

Thanks!

A container is a div block that already has preset properties — you can drop it right into a page or section without having to manually configure its styling.

Just like a ton of the elements/components in the add panel, you can create a container from scratch by styling a div block — a container can save some time. :+1:

If you haven’t already, take a look at the content on containers here:

Hi Troy,

Section: Has standard full width of viewport and cannot have nested sections
Container: Same as Div but locked at 960 940 pixel width and auto-placed in center of page
Div: Same as a container without restrictions and can have nested divs

To clarify, in case anyone needs this pixel value, the container width is 940px; not 960px. :sunglasses:

Thank you everyone, this is very helpful