What is the easiest webflow to CMS migration?

This post is similar to one I posted recently. In many cases, especially with the google rating changes for mobile, the CMS came first and enters Web Flow, not the other way around. That said, the CMS produces its own html and generally does so in containers, that are defined by templates within the CMS. There needs to be a way for web flow to consume the rendered pages and pull in the css resources so we can then create an enhanced css/template that is largely closer than what webflow produces natively. Is this a pipe dream?

Webhook.com is awesome!

4 Likes

Can you make a short description on how you have to convert the Webflow generated HTML/CSS to Webhook editable content?

I was doing some research but didn’t really find it. Luke what things you have tot add, remove, etc…

I also noticed that webhook is made up by forms, doesn’t that make it harder to go from Webflow too Webhook?

This is a really good video tutorial that shows you the process with any site including a downloading webflow site.

3 Likes

How much time should a newbie (non-coder but pretty fluent in webflow) budget for doing a Webflow to Webhook implementation?

1 Like

I’d be curious to see an equivalent video for something like Cloudcannon.

Well after watching the video that Ryanmadhorse provided it seems like it won’t take too much time to deploy a site using webhook. I’m also famliar with linux so using the terminal is something which I don’t mind at all.

The only benefit of Concrete5 is that it’s free which isn’t the case for the most alternatives talked about so far.

So does Webhook have an online front-end for clients to use, or are they required to have it installed on their computer?

You only edit on your local computer when you want to configure your CMS forms, design or adding a static page.
Once you have deployed your site the user can go to yourdomain.com is available for purchase - Sedo.com to get to the client area to add or update content.

If you need to go back and make a design change or add a field to a CMS form it will not affect the clients data unless your delete a field that is being used. You can also setup the site to work with Github and have version control if needed.

You can also override the default webhook logo on the CMS by just adding a cms.css file with this code below.
Here is what the login page looks like on the current site I’m working on. http://upwardcms.webhook.org/cms#/login

.wh-updates {
display: none;
}

.wh-logo {
background-image:url(‘/static/images/clients-logo’);
background-size: contain;
}

Also you can setup custom user permissions for the clients.

1 Like

And to get your feet wet with Webhook, it’s free for 14 days. Just give it a try if you are comfortable “cutting up” your website-webflow.zip files and know “what goes where”.

Their forums have been very active in the past when they were iterating daily, but it has quieted down lately (no news is good news, I suppose.) But, if you need help and the forum is not responsive, reach out on twitter to the Webhook team, or via support@webhook.com, and they’ll help you out directly.

In any case, at the end, you will have to do some work for integrating with any CMS. If that’s not your cup of tea, then hire a developer familiar with it.

Thanks @ryanmadhorse. Were you able to integrate a blog somehow with Webhook as well?

Yes, its pretty easy.
here is another video that shows you how you can do it.

1 Like

Hi, bumping in the conversation. Here is a blog build with Webhook. http://www.coffretsduroyaume.com/blogue

Really simple blog right now, but it will become a standard blog looking in next iteration. This site is also designed in Webflow, doing Iteration and designing new sections, then I export the code and I copy the new section code in the Webhook repo on my computer. I also need to update images, CSS and JS files. The great benefit is that no one can Hack this website, it is always up-to-date, quick development environment with Webhook, effects and CSS with Webflow. I can also use zapier to import data from Webflow to Webhook directly and quickly. Low cost Hosting.

I think that 80% of the CMS programming language, template and main function is understandable by a Webflow user.

Hope that you’ll give it a Try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have done this website in less than 40h. From Scratch to CMS

1. Designing and building pages from scratch directly in Webflow (±20h)
  2. Converting to Webhook, with a custom domain name (±2h)
  3. Adding CMS dynamics sections. (±15h)

Hope my answers help :smile:

2 Likes

@gosselin07 The finish of this is really really good, I like, this definitely sets a standard. 15 hours would be the time for a webhook novice? Or would you need to budget more time in that case?

Depending on your planning. You should give a go with Webhook right now to understand it. I’m a novice, and I don’t understand WP or any other PHP CMS.

Very late to this but strongly +1 the sentiment here.

I’m a CMS developer and I want to integrate with webflow. They’ve got to move in that direction. It will open a whole new world of features and opportunity for all the users.

very interesting!

I debate whether to stick with:

-Visual Composer
-a simple WP theme that has the basic elements that users seems to want
-custom WP coded theme
-Webhook or other CMS alternative

In the end I really don’t want to do any of this CMS integration. I’d rather pay someone but it’s good to know the best route to take!

And who doesn’t like Wordpress’ massive plugin options. I’ve been using Gravity Forms and it’s a piece of cake to setup and manage. Duplicate Post has been a time saver…

I just know the workflow on Wordpress but this Webhook seems to get the job done with some coding and totally custom. Looks promising.

Let me also recommend Divi. The new 2.4 is awesome and I prefer it to Visual Composer (however, I’m just not a WordPress fan).

Hello there,

With Pinegrow you will find a very innovative way to convert any static HTML/CSS templates into WordPress Themes. (A certain WordPress knowledge is still welcome)

If you want to learn more about the workflow, my advice is that you check the following course:

And if you need more details, I can help :wink:

Emmanuel. Pinegrow WordPress Evangelist.
mailto:emmanuel@pinegrow.com