Streaming live at 10am (PST)

What is your main source for finding new gigs?

Soo… a few words on the background of this question. Daily, I’m seeing a lot of cool talented individuals and studios share their beautifully designed portfolio pages.

I’m interested to find out how effective is to have a great looking portfolio page as a source for collecting new leads? Or is it more important to have a wide network of people you hang out with?

The poll is live on Twitter: https://twitter.com/duplion/status/705172173024010240

If none of the poll answers are not applicable (Twitter limit is only four), please share your answer in comments here or in the tweet.

Your vote is private: “When you vote in a poll, your participation is not shown to others: neither the poll creator nor other participants can see who has voted or how they voted.” - Twitter

The poll will be active for three days, and I’ll post the results afterwards. Please share this poll with your friends designers so we can get a clearer picture.

Thanks!

1. Network. Go to meetups. Meet people, share your business card without trying to sell your services. Just plant the seed. Get it in peoples heads that you're a Web Designer. Don't ask if they need a site done.

2. Do free work - non-profit orgs need websites. do them. You church might need one. Do it. There is probably a little league or youth soccer team that needs a site. DO IT! Redesign a site just for fun. You'll learn a lot of new skills and tricks all while getting your name out there

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2... forever

Thanks! But what about finding work online (people you didn't meet in real life)?

its tough. but it shouldn't be about "how do i find work?" the question should be "how does work find me?"

That's cool. And great turn on the perspective!

I had a moment of inspiration :smile:
Really, really good question @PixelGeek!