What's the right way to learn?

Hi folks. I am new to webflow. I accidentally stumbled across my natural affinity towards design, creating, and specifically web building. I did this when seeking more and more customization on my own site, for a business idea.

Enough about that.

My question is this. Am I better learning coding alongside webflow or stand-alone webflow? As far as I can see from forums, there is no right or wrong answer. I’m aware that webflow is primarily for web designers without the use of code. But, a lot of front-end developers have implored me to start with coding.

My position is this. I love anything design and creative(not so much the coding). I would like to do this full time before I go back to my dreaded boring job as a taxi driver. I have another 2 months of full time learning, tops! I already have 6 months of basic website design under my belt(so I think have a feel for it). I’m not nieve. I know it’s hyper competitive out there for web building work. But I have marketing knowledge and think I could give it a shot. I want to be able to provide confidently, premium services to clients for web building without being limited with what I can offer. So, webflow, or webflow + coding? Coding I’ve been explained 6 months+ for basic level?

A quick example of where I don’t want to be restricted. My website is a comparison site for PT’s and fitness services (Compare – Home Fitness World), very basic I know. But on here I would love to insert a search facility to pull up the right trainers for customers. I think there would be a simple alogrythm needed no? Does webflow offer this cabaility? Can you code into the design you have made? Ultimately I would love to know the drawbacks and limitations(although it looks an incredible website building tool)???

Any help or advice would be sp greatly appreciated.

Gareth.

As magical and possibly stand alone Webflow is, it’s also great because it is a UI for HTML and CSS. When you’re facing design challenges, most often the answer comes from HTML CSS logic and not Webflow logic.

You WILL learn a lot of web concepts and HTML CSS by just using Webflow. But you will be an expert is you know HTML and CSS. Good news: they are easy and fast to learn, and courses (free and commercial) are legion.

I can assure you that when you know you basics in HTML and CSS, you’ll feel at home in Webflow.

Now “coding” refers more to code with real language, like JS. JS is definitely great for front end dev, but you can be a good pro front end designer with Webflow and not know JS.

3 Likes

What @vincent says. Always what Vincent says. :smiley:

For context, I asked a similar question when I found Webflow, and Vincent guided me and offered me similar advice… I built a small design business, and learned CSS and HTML pretty in-depth, just by default. I now work here and will be moving to engineering team soon, so I got bitten by the coding bug :joy: This can be a path into deeper coding if you want it to be, but you can do so much without writing a single line of code, you may just need to copy and paste some stuff if you feel you need it. But over time, that necessity will be reduced signifcantly.

There is a hidden tool in Webflow called CSS Preview, you can add things to the canvas, add styles, and see the CSS output you get in realtime, even copy to clipboard and play with it in a code editor. It’s not perfect, but it shows you how the styles are applied. css-tricks.com is great resource too, not all of the CSS properties are available directly in Webflow yet, so it’s good to know how to bypass any limitations you may have in the meantime.

CleanShot 2021-03-30 at 09.19.01

1 Like

That neumorpjic keyboar @magicmark :joy:

Let’s also list as success factors the necessary skills around browsers inspectors. I wouldn’t be able to do my work efficiently without knowing how to deal with Chrome Inspector. And I am far from being fluent at it, I only know like 5% of it, maybe less. It’s on my list to engage in a course to learn more of its possibilities.

Hi folks. Thanks so much for your feedback. I think this has answered my question. I will keep going with webflow whilst chipping away at basic CSS and HTML. Javascript will come as things progress no doubt.

My concern was time limitations. And whether to focus solely on websflow to ‘attempt’ to keep me out of the taxi(coffin on wheels) and doing things I love. The last year has been a wake up call for me. So I thought maybe if I got up to a high standard of webflow over next few months or so, it may open up some opportunities for me. I didn’t want to spread myself too thin as already deep diving into video editing.

I’ll go for both however. Your answers tell me that the 2 very much compliment each other.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to help me.

Gareth.