Why get rid of the Visibility Interface

I noticed for the first time today a notice under the Visibility Interface (whether something is shown on what device), that it is to be gone with the interface upgrade. My question is WHY???

I do have to question the logic! I use a lot of full screen pop-ups on first opening a site, eg: coachlive. If I want to adjust the underlying site I firstly go to this menu and disable all, now I have to turn off and back on per media view. Now 8 steps replaces 2 very simple ones! In fact it is not likely 8 steps but 12.

I’ve just had to make changes to a clients site today - it had been a while since making any changes to their site, it had a similar pop-up to that above. It should have taken 5 minutes to make the changes to their site, instead it took 1.5hrs as the visability dialogue no longer works, and I simply switched the pop-up visability off. Then when turning the pop-up back on I had to recall what settings I had originally applied to it! Nightmare!

Webflow, need to be mindful that sites built months ago and require an upgrade are significantly effected by this change. If you are going to get rid of this feature, ensure you put another button in the display that turns a item to ‘display none’ and returns that item to its original settings when displayed.

That feature was buggy and it’s basically just using a display:none with a UI outside of the style panel, which can be confusing in terms of what loads and what is not. Getting rid of it is a good thing imho, rather sooner than later.

Really sort for the extra work on your old sites but this shouldn’t bring extra work on new ones, at all.

1 Like

The problem is that the old way (using the interface visability) was definite, if you turn it off it will not show! Now, even if it is turned to hide element it will show up on one interface whether hidden or not, when it does you have absolutely NO control over the objects visability!

The feature is gone and will not be coming back. So you have to go and fix it everywhere it bugs, if it bugs. If you have trouble with one element, copy and paste it should clear things up.

How many of those elements on how many websites are we talking about here? You original message is a week old now, do you have so many elements that it’s turning into a nightmare?

Again, we’re talking about doing things differently here, and fixing old things if they were buggy. But the feature is not coming back.

Vincent, I do have to second the fact that this is a desirable feature. I don’t doubt there are shortcomings in the current implementation of it, but there are significant benefits in such a feature if its built properly. Webflow offers very little control on the loading sequence of scripts and page elements used to prioritize above the fold viewing, mobile viewports etc. A proper implementation of this functionality should avoid loading the elements whatsoever to enable desktop specific functionality that is too overbearing on data allowance and load times for mobile clients. Display none still loads the code and elements in most modern browsers and due to the way pages are rendered I don’t see that changing (and working properly) anytime soon.

1 Like

How many of those elements on how many websites are we talking about here? You original message is a week old now, do you have so many elements that it’s turning into a nightmare?

There in lies my problem, every site I’ve done so far makes heavy use of this feature! I’m not yet certain of the impact across all sites, though based on the first site and the number of introduced bugs - I’d imagine the impact to be rather profound.

However, I have noticed that the majority of bugs come from hiding and unhiding content created since this feature was made inoperable - I’ve never had any bugs with webflow previously!

I’ve been reviewing the sites where I used the feature and I have no loss of functionality on them. I can also successfuly duplicate elements with previous visibility set, and set the new visibility using CSS in the style panel.

So I don’t know how to help you really, you don’t seem to be sure if there’s even an issue and what the scale of it is.

1 Like

I’ve been reviewing the sites where I used the feature and I have no loss of functionality on them. I can also successfuly duplicate elements with previous visibility set, and set the new visibility using CSS in the style panel.

So I don’t know how to help you really, you don’t seem to be sure if there’s even an issue and what the scale of it is.

Thanks mate! I haven’t yet checked on the other sites since this feature was disabled. So you are right I don’t yet know the extent of any issue. I do know that on one site I had an item setup as a flexbox and turned off somewhere. Then when trialling the new way of functioning, prior to this being disabled, I didn’t note my flexbox settings. It was just a simple restore to the earlier version.

I guess the work around it to place everything in a div block and use that as the display none option. Still it is a workaround!

Nope, its a freakin nightmare! As I just realised, we are hiding the class NOT AN INDIVIVDUAL OBJECT! My life just became crap!

I feel like I dodged a bullet by never using visibility option.

Yes, display options are applied to the class. For a complex layouts where I need stuff shown and hidden on different resolutions (but mind you this is bad practice to limit elements visibility on different breakpoints) I create several dedicated classes that are created with names like.1-0-0-1 - which means that there are 4 breakpoints, and 1 or 0 stands for visible or invisible respectively. For example the above class would be set to visible on desktop and mobile only, and invisible on tablet and landscape mobile. Other that this the class would have no settings. Then I will simply add these preset classes to the element that I want to hide on some breakpoints (or rather, I’d put my object in a div and hide this div so that no display properties are messed up).

1 Like