Streaming live at 10am (PST)

Work-Around for Duplicating Styles?

I'd really like to be able to take a class that has several styles applied, duplicate it, and then edit it. From researching the forums and the tutorials, I understand this isn't possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has a work-around that saves some of the time involved in re-creating a class from scratch.

I know the conventional wisdom is to add an additional combo class, but it's getting to the point where I have four or five classes applied to a single element, and many of the styles contradict one another. (I can see adding a class with additional style elements, but it worries me to have style elements used in combination that are just there to remove the style of the previous class. (For example, a parent style that adds a border, then a child style that removes the border, and then another child style that adds a border again.)

Maybe it doesn't matter, but it does get cluttered...

Thank you! :grinning:

Here is my public share link: LINK
(how to access public share link)

Ah, you're in the infamous state of dealing with classes like: .title.black.white.big.small :wink:

Ok so you can't duplicate classes unfortunately. But how to get out of this mess, or rather, how to try not to fall into this mess... The answer is plan ahead and redo.

Plan ahead, on paper, to build clean structures and affect class names that make sense.

Redo. When you've build a block, and you end up in a mess of classes, just take a little time to redo your section from scratch, this time with the right structure and classes. it doesn't take long when you know what you do. then you can delete the messy original and go to the classes tab and clean unused classes.

Sorry it's probably not the answer you were waiting for :slightly_smiling:

LOL. Exactly!

I'm working on my first Webflow site, and learning as I go. So, I haven't really been able to plan ahead for this project.

For now, I'm taking detailed notes on padding, background color, shadow, etc., and then re-creating the styles. It works, but it's time-consuming. And I still find myself creating child/combo classes with names that seem innocent enough (like "left"), and then find that I have to be very careful not to apply them to other existing classes and make changes.

Still learning about Webflow classes...

Thank you for the response! :grinning:

Seriously we all do, it's just a matter of how much you rework your stuff.

Planning ahead is best. Mokups is even better, things like this:

I always work with mockups. Now that I'm more familiar with the way classes work in Webflow, maybe I'll add actual class names to my mockups... I'm not used to going into that level of detail for mockups – I usually just focus on visual design and functionality. It might pay off, though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.