Missing images on exported site

Hello! Today I had a problem, which was not there before. When I publish the site on a server Webflow there all the images. But when I download site archive and publish it on another hosting the image for some reason do not.

Example
http://burn.webflow.io/briolo
http://ivanishchev.ru/briolo.html

Site in webflow: https://preview.webflow.com/preview/burn?preview=c958781ef9b61ab6c4897ad9a09ece4e

Hi @Barsik, thanks for reporting this. I am checking on the missing images issue. There have been a couple of reports on this, as soon as I have more info, I will update. I appreciate your patience while this is investigated.

1 Like

Hi

Just updated a Webflow site of mine and exported it to host on my own server.
Upon checking the site to make sure the updates carried across, it seems the main logo on the hero section of the site is missing.
What’s even weirder is that when you copy the url link for the img and open a new tab and paste the link and press enter it loads the main website again without any css! It’s supposed to just show a picture.

the website address is:
Live Site that is having issues with hero graphic logo

also check out the webflow hosted version of the site, that seems to be working fine.
Webflow hosted version of the same site, without any issues

Never had this issue before.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Here is my public share link: Preview Link
(how to access public share link)

Hi @Amreet_Gill, thanks for posting about the issue.

I have combined the reports on the missing images to this post. I will update asap.

1 Like

The bug has already been fixed?

Hi @Barsik, the issue has not yet been resolved. As soon as there is an update on this, an update will be made to this post.

1 Like

It would appear that any site, old or new, that was working perfectly before, now has missing images if those images contain spaces or unusual characters such as %.

It is also not sufficient to just re-name the original file and re-upload to webflow as all this does is trick webflow into thinking it has changed but on upload webflow still fails to recognize the newly named image.

You need to re-save the image via a photo editing or vector program, re-load into webflow and re-link all over again in the designer. For EVERY missing image.

This could be a monumental disaster for people who have not used strict image naming rules.

It’s true? We’ll have to reload all images?

It would appear that any site, old or new, that was working perfectly before, now has missing images if those images contain spaces or unusual characters such as %.

It is also not sufficient to just re-name the original file and re-upload to webflow as all this does is trick webflow into thinking it has changed but on upload webflow still fails to recognize the newly named image.

You need to re-save the image via a photo editing or vector program, re-load into webflow and re-link all over again in the designer. For EVERY missing image.

This could be a monumental disaster for people who have not used strict image naming rules.

On further investigation it appears that webflow is randomly choosing to ignore some images with spaces in the filename whilst allowing others (with spaces) to appear as normal. Very, very odd and frustrating.

This really needs to be clarified asap as I don’t fancy going over all my sites (which have been working perfectly) and checking whether any of the image filenames have spaces if it is a bug that can be rectified.

1 Like

Hi guys, the team is working on a fix and more information will be available soon as possible.

1 Like

Cheers Dave, glad you guys are on it. I will avoid uploading any sites for the time being.

The export is double-encoding all special characters such as spaces and brackets.

What can help in the short term is a site-wide search and replace on your exported html to replace %2520 with %20. This will fix the issue with any filenames that have spaces. Other special characters such as brackets will need the same replacing though such as replacing %255B with %5B (“[”) and %255D with %5D ("])

I certainly hope this gets fixed soon. My website hosted elsewhere has special offers which are published on the 1st, 11th and 21st day of the month. So today I make the updates to my site, export it and it looks like hell.

And I’m spending $250 a day with AdWords for the site. On top of that today is SUPPOSED to be my day off.

So instead of making my updates early this AM and going about enjoying my day off I’m stuck with a shitty looking site my customers are struggling with and sitting around all day waiting for a fix.

Not real happy with Webflow right now. 10 years with Wordpress and never had a single day as bad as this.

Hi @tahiles thanks for the report. Also, thank you @Drennen for the confirmation on the issue. I’m filing a bug report with my team as we speak.

First thing I noticed is that you have a background image for a link block. Then inside of that link block is an inline image which is broken. Because the image is not found in our servers, the ALT text gets displayed instead.

Once I have an update on this issue, I’ll reply back immediately.

Well the real “funny” thing is that Webflow broke this, or just today started having a “problem” with it. Because before this new problem that arose today EVERTHING on my site worked.

I’m sure you can find a lot of examples in my site (and others) where things aren’t perfectly formatted but it’s Webflow not me with the MAJOR problems today.

I appreciate you pointing out any problems that might exist on my site but let’s shoot the elephant before we start stepping on ants.

Hi @tahiles totally agree that this is our fault. Was not blaming you and I apologize if I came off that way. I was just trying to report what I found and why the site is showing ALT text on top of elements.

I hope to have some good news very soon

@Drennen @Golden28 @Amreet_Gill @Barsik @tahiles We need more information to get to the bottom of this issue.

Previously, when we exported code, spaces in filenames were not properly encoded to %20 values, which meant that we exported invalid HTML. However, we should be replacing spaces to be compliant with HTML (in other words, the previous behavior was a non-compliant bug), and all of our internal testing so far shows that the actual exported ZIP file that Webflow creates does not double-encode special characters. If you have a zip file that does show that what you get from Webflow is double-encoded, could you please let us know?

We suspect that other software you may be using to upload your files to a different host is performing an extra encode improperly. Is there any way you guys can check if that is the case? To do that, you can compare the code that you got from Webflow in the zip file to what you see on your published site.

Please let us know if you can confirm that you’re seeing double-encoded output in the Webflow exported ZIP file (prior to any other uploads using other software to a different server), we’ll investigate further. (Please make sure to refresh your Designer to verify that you’re running the latest export code.)

One current workaround is to locate the files that have spaces in them (e.g. @Amreet_Gill in your case it would be the Template Logo.png file) and re-upload that same file without spaces (e.g. TemplateLogo.png) - if the upload software is doing a double encode, this change will bypass the error.

Only speaking for myself…

I download the zip, extract it using 7 Zip and then use FileZilla for FTP directly to private server.

No errors EVER induced using this method literally hundreds of times before today.

The errors are definitely being generated in the Zip file.

This is correct. We have pushed a fix for this. Can you please try exporting a new copy of the site and verify that it works locally? If it does, then go ahead and upload that to your servers.

No good…problems still there…locally…no need to upload to see them…