Performance issues and "Error downloading code"

Just noticed this over the last few weeks…

On my website, which is hosted elsewhere, I need to make changes to seven pages every 10 days. Not major changes, just dates in two places.

So I make the changes and then publishing takes from 1:10 ~ 1: 15. Used to be MUCH faster.

I publish EVERY page separately because I noticed a long time ago that if I changed seven pages and then published some changes don’t “take”. So my edit time has ballooned to over 10 minutes for what used to take less than five.

The “Get Code” is now NOT WORKING…“Error Downloading Code” from two lacations and two different computers… I’m going to post this Error issue on the main page…

Here is my site Read-Only: LINK
(how to share your site Read-Only link)

Since your request is fairly simple (change dates)

What I would do is…

• convert the html code to PHP.
  • insert php code that opens and displays the content of a text file (on your own server)

When you need to change the information…

• simply open the text file and change the necessary information.

The next time the page is served…

• the viewer see the updated information.

Basically… it’s a “pseudo database”.

We use this is method for several different clients…

• to display staff / employee (contact page).

This also removes Webflow from the process

• ie: no more updating webpages… no worries about Webflow speed…
  • as everything is stored on your local server.

I understand the workarounds.

Just did this today using NotePad++ and updated the site. But my employees know how to work Webflow, not how to edit HTML. Webflow STILL needs to be fixed.

What happens when simple editing won’t accomplish what I need? All day job?

And now it’s not producing the code for download. I put that in another post.

There’s REAL problems right now and they need to be addressed, not worked around. I pay for the service I expect it to work.

I totally agree with you.

However - Webflow seems to be (currently) dealing (or not dealing) with multiple large scale issues
that are security related. For me… usability is pre-empted by Security. Not ideal - but necessary.

I have been encountering the issues you brought for months.

So… it’s was just a suggestion to “get you over the hump” until Webflow can get their act together.

As for the price…
we pay about $900 a year for this service.

So trust me… when I say - I expect to receive a high level of service for the amount of $$$ I spend.

I agree with you 100%.

However, it’s 100% unacceptable to NOT be able to download the code.

They need to get this fixed soon. I’m an online marketer and we have vendors changing specs and appearances all the time.

My business is myself, my son and one other. My son knows Webflow and I have no doubt he’ll pickup HTML editing very quickly. But changing pictures and other items are a totally different kettle of fish.

THEN, when Webflow decides to allow the code to be downloaded again, you’ll need to keep a checklist of all the changes you’ve made to the HTML and apply those inside Webflow. Far from an ideal situation…

if it’s something simple… like changing pictures / text / html etc…

I might be able to help you out.

no worries about payment and such.

Just one person trying to help another get over a hump.

Hi @tahiles

Thanks for posting about this. I am looking into this right now. Can you please share your Read-Only link or site URL?

​Thanks in advance, and I’m standing by for your reply.

@tahiles I was not able to reproduce the issue in a new site so it may be isolated to your specific project. I’m standing by for that link so I can investigate this further for you.

Can you also please send me screenshots of the behavior you’re describing.

Can you please try the following:
(1) Try to reproduce the error while being logged into Webflow using Incognito mode with browser extensions turned off: Browse in private - Computer - Google Chrome Help
(2) If the problem persists, please take a screenshot of your Console and send it to me: Chrome DevTools - Chrome Developers

Could you please let me know what browser version you’re using by sending me your information from this page?

There should be a small share link when you visit the page which you can send to me.

Thanks in advance!

https://preview.webflow.com/preview/richmondbedding-de436caf5-9c297b3f673af?preview=e796a8fd288d0de46a67c8b07233982a

1 Like

Oh, I can do it…

Just can’t be out of town and expect someone else to take care of this for
me if I can’t get online…

I can’t download code right now. From two different locations and two different computers all I’m getting is this message:

“There were errors…Please check your connection and try again”

Saw this message for the first time about a week ago. Multiple attempts and finally got the Zip file. Now it’s just not working…

@cyberdave
@Waldo

HI @tahiles

Thanks for posting about this! I am looking into it now with the team and will respond when I have more information!

Is this the same issue / project you reported here?

​Thanks in advance, and I’m standing by for your reply.

same project…

1 Like

@tahiles

Thanks again for posting and sharing your Read-Only link. I have reported this issue to the team and we are investigating now. I merged your other post here as well as they appear to be related.

I will respond as soon as I have more information.

Thanks for your patience

@Revolution could you elaborate on this point? How did you hear this? I haven’t heard this and am very interested to see if there is something going on. Thanks!

Maybe read this thread

Nothing yet?

Still getting the following message:

“There were errors downloading your site information. Please check your connections and try again.”

This is happening when “Loading Code”, AFTER the progress wheel spins for much too long. I can’t get to “Download” so it’s not my connection, it’s internal on your end.

In other words the “Errors downloading” refers to retrieving the code for zip and download.

Hi @tahiles

You are correct—the issue is not related to a network connection.

We are still investigating this and trying to uncover the root cause. As soon as I have more information I will report back immediately!

I appreciate your patience and consideration so far.

No problem, I’ve edited and FTP’d my HTML to my hosting server.

1 Like